Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Over Inspired

Lately I've been feeling overwhelmed by all the design ideas and choices we are facing for our home. I definitely know what I like and don't like but as a self-proclaimed unconfident decision maker, I have the worst time narrowing down my ideas. I hate that I only 10 rooms to work with! I know it sounds like a lot but I have about 1,000 inspiration ideas, so 10 isn't many! I hate even more that those 10 rooms all need to flow, so some of my most favorites will have to let go in exchange for what works with not only our dominant style, but this house too.

My latest challenges have been with the kitchen cafe curtains and the guest room decor.

Since like forever I've been in love with Erika's cafe curtains so when I came across a remnant of a similar Oscar De La Renta ivory/turquoise ikat print for a mere $3.50/yard, I planned to use it. I only was able to get 3 and half yards, but it was like winning the lottery. What a deal!

These are Erika's in a different fabric, but you get the idea.

Well when you're that high there's no where to go but down, which is exactly what happened to me. Turns out there wasn't quite enough fabric to do the curtains the way I wanted - pleated, so my seamstress suggested putting a wide band across the bottom in coordinating fabric. I went off to Mary Jo's and found one, but wasn't convinced that I was going to like it all together. In my mind, wide band = very country look. So we halted the project. I also started to doubt the color in the kitchen a bit. Although right now it's closed off from the dining room (except for the doorway), but one day we may plan to open it up. I know I could just change the curtains, but I don't really operate like that. Once I find something I like, I stick with it. Not only that, I'm hoping to jazz up the dining room with an ikat print also, so it would be too much to have both.

Bad photo, but the dining room is on the other side of the left wall
(behind where the fridge sticks out)

So now you can imagine the pickle I'm in.

I've hunted down some challengers, but nothing with that same feeling.

(too much light - sorry)

Our walls are Benjamin Moore Eagle Creek (a greige) and there just isn't much fabric out there in the greige (beigey gray) family. The best I have found is this one at Calico Corners by Iman.


I've loved it for a while now and was hoping to use it for a huge cushion on mudroom bench, but it may become our cafe curtains instead.

My reason for choosing it is it's neutralness. It goes well with the paint color and can be accessorized with some fun bright colors. It's neutralness is also my reason for hating it (for the cafe curtains at least). I think I'm going to pull the trigger though before the 20% off sale ends this month. I can worry about the details later!

And just for fun, here's the ikat I'm tossing around for the dining room. The walls in there are Bear Creek - a deeper greige.

I really want something in the indigo family, but again there just doesn't seem to be any good indigo printed fabrics out there. UGH! Why am I ALWAYS so difficult?

I was planning on showing you my bedroom ideas too in this post but it's already a long one, so that will have to wait! Hold tight!

No comments: