Wednesday, April 27, 2011

our best girl

I know I promised to be back next week with a weekend round up of our mini vacation, but tonight I find myself surprisingly awake with a full heart while my 2 best friends snore in tandem - one the couch next to me & one under my feet.

Since it's been a long long while since my girl wrote any of her own posts for
her blog, I thought I'd take a minute to catch you up.

In case you're new around here, my girl is this adorable little goldie.


Semilla Maya is her name (Mia for short) and she's my best friend. Well, my best girl friend that is.

This sweet little ball of fluff came home with her 2 adoptive gringo parents when she was only 6 weeks old.


Obviously it didn't take long for us to fall madly in love with each other....


...even when sometimes one of us wasn't so lovable.


But the good times always outweighed the bad...


....and this little sweetheart filled a place in our hearts that we didn't even realize was empty.


She became our partner in life, loving adventure as much as us......


....and adapting well to a crazy lifestyle of living out of our car for months at a time!


When it was time to leave the only home she had ever known......


......and her Guatemalan friends & family (her brother Michael).......


...this little girl put her trust in us and in turn we committed to give her the best possible life we knew how to give.


Jumping forward to present time, our latest adventure hasn't been exactly so much fun for all of us.


Our new home is hot & dirty & doesn't often allow much time for fun, but nonetheless our girl continues to love us even though sometimes we aren't so lovable.



And that is why she is our very very best friend. No one could ever take her place.


I guess I'm feeling a bit sentimental because this coming weekend we are going to leave Miss Mia away from our friends and family for only the second time ever. In her 18 months of life we've barley spent more than a day apart from her with the exception of our month long Central America vacation that ended in disaster. During that time our good friends stepped in to be psuedo mami & papi, but the whole experience was traumatic for our little family of three and we vowed to never ever be apart from each other like that ever again.

Life in the US though isn't often as carefree as the life we were used to in Latin America and rules are enforced rather than made from breaking. So in order for us to find some happiness ourselves (which we are really needing), we'll have to venture out without our faithful companion and with any luck we'll come home refreshed and rejuvenated, ready to make lemonade our of our lemons.

We know she'll be in good hands, staying with her friends at Club K-9, but there's still a little piece of our hearts that breaks thinking of her sleeping all alone instead of curled up at our feet. It's only 2 nights and she'll play all day, but we sure hope our girl knows that we'll always come back for her because without her our house just doesn't feel like a home. Without her, we don't know how to be a family. She is our heart.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

What a totally sweet blog post! Little Mia is a lucky dog to have such loving and doting parents. I'm totally with you on the doggy love. Most days I don't even like leaving Ginger to go to work for 4 hours. I wish she could just come to school with me and sleep under the therapy table. My kindergarteners might not piss me off quite so much if Ginger were there to lower my blood pressure.

I know Mia will do fine without you, but your reunion will be sooooo happy when you get back.

P.S. That picture of Ben and Mia on the boat? Priceless. I hope you blow it up and frame it and hang it on a wall. Low on a wall next to one of her beds. Have I ever mentioned on my blog that all of Ginger's beds have nearby art work at her level.