Saturday, April 18, 2009

These feet were made for walking

And that’s just what they’ve been doing. When we’re not glued to the seats of our car, our feet are out walking. We’ve walked high and low around every coastal Mexican town between Tijuana and Acapulco.

Before we left home I was distraught over which shoes would come and which little darlings I had to leave behind (after my husband, shoes & bags are my second love). Wrestling between the practicalities of walking on cobblestone roads for the next year and my never ending need to participate in love for the fashion world, I think I may have left with 7 pairs in my bag. Mostly practical footwear, like tennis shoes, hiking boots and Chacos (ewe, I hate how they look), I did find room for some ballet flats (they don’t take up much room) and my beloved Frye boots (they will be my main accessory in the cooler months). Of course I also threw in a pair of flip-flops and have another pair waiting in the bag we left in Xela.
Well, little did I know that after our first night in the desert, my feet would never again see those closed-toe shoes on this trip! I’ve been hoofing (and showering) all over Mexico in my comfy Havaianas and it’s a good thing because my bunion and I weren’t getting along very well before we left Denver.

Now for the first time in my life I have something that I have always wanted, something that I have always been secretly jealous of when I see them on other people – foot tan lines! Yes that’s right, this fair-skinned, freckle-covered, girl has a sandal tan on my tootsies and I couldn’t be more pleased.
It may not be obvious to you, but it’s there! I guess when you wear the same shoes for a month it’s bound to happen, but I don’t care how I got it as long as it stays!

I swear it's more obvious in person!

Now these feet need to get a pedi. Even Ben has commented on the nastiness of his own feet. I’m trying to talk him into a day of indulgence with massages and pedicures, but I don’t see that happening any time soon Oh, and if you were noticing my black toe-nail, Ben kicked it off accidently the day after I took this photo (I’ve had it ever since I dropped a can of bathroom cleaner on my foot back in September. I’m hoping my tan lines distract from the nubbin of a nail I’m left with.

1 comment:

Khammany said...

You're so goofy! Who ever heard of feet-tanline envy? I always hate it when that happens to me, but maybe I should try to have a different perspective now that I know someone may be secretly jealous of it!