Friday, July 1, 2011

I scream, you scream....



We all scream for ice cream!

If we have one downfall as a family, it's that we love ice cream - all 3 of us - a little too much. Luckily it isn't something we keep on hand at all times. We sort of go in spells. Now is one of those times. Maybe it's the heat? Maybe it's my new found interest in cooking? Maybe it's just that time of year? What ever it is, I've revived the electric ice cream machine that we received as a wedding gift from Ann & Jim almost 7 years ago and we've been indulging in all sorts of frozen delights! (BTW, I do believe that out of all the gifts we received this Cuisinart Automatic Ice Cream Maker was is without a doubt our very favorite gift!)

A year or so after receiving it and exhausting nearly all of the recipes that came along with it, I invested in The Perfect Scoop. It's chock-full of ice creams, sorbets, granitas, and sweet accompaniments - more than one person could ever dream of. I should pull a Julia Fairchild, and mix, whip, churn? my way through the book. Wouldn't that be fun? My butt would probably become enormous, but my tummy would be happy!

Here's a favorite revival that I first discovered a few years ago & then re-discovered this week.

Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

{via}

Source: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

Makes about 1 1/4 quarts

1 pound fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled

3/4 c. sugar

1 tbsp. vodka or kirsch

1 c. sour cream

1 c. heavy cream

1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1) Slice the strawberries and toss them in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch. Stir until the sugar begins to dissolve. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring every so often.

2) Pulse the strawberries and their liquid with the sour cream, heavy cream and lemon juice in a blender or food processor until almost smooth, but still slightly chunky.

3) Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.


To top it off, this time I added some frozen dark chocolate chunks with about 5 minutes left in the mixing. It's absolutely, perfectly, delicious!


1 comment:

Natalie said...

We've been going through an ice cream craze at our house too.  Can you believe that I don't have an ice cream maker?  Isn't that crazy.  Maybe this will be the year I finally get one.  B-day present perhaps.  Maybe I will get the same kind as you since you like it so much!