Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ALF Returns

No, I'm not talking about this guy.


I'm talking about ALF. As in Autumn Leaf Festival. As in the pride and joy of Clarion County. As in my hometown in Pennsylvania, where I snuck away to for the weekend! It has been several years since I've been home for ALF. In fact my 10 year class reunion was around this time last year, but I had to miss it since we were in Guatemala. I'd been looking forward to a bit of the chaos and a lot of the delicious treats, so Friday morning my mom and I hit the streets for the annual Farmers & Crafters day.


Despite all of Main Street being lined with tents, we pretty much left empty handed - it was a little too country kitchy crafty for us. If you're from a small town, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. But even with our hands empty, we still had a good time and I even ran into a couple of my old high school friends with their babies (Yikes! Yes, babies (plural)
).

Of course the visit entailed a lot of playing with this little one.


Don't be fooled. She may look like a little teddy bear angel, but she's really quite the little devil - cute little devil (sorry mom)! Most of the week these 2 were attached at the hip - or maybe I should say mouth!


Even though Mia is twice as big as Sadie, she plays so gentle, always letting Sadie have her way with her!

And it made Mia so happy to have a friend to play with. She's been pretty lonely in Charlotte.


Oh and while I was home, I got myself some furniture too! Let me explain. My grandma & grandpa (Ma & Pa) have had a whole house full of the rare mid-century modern, blond Heywood-Wakefield furniture for as long as I can remember. I never really thought twice about it until I got a little older and my love for design began to develop, but now I realize how classic it really is. Well when my grandma passed away 8 years ago, Pa decided it was time to start clearing out the house and tried to sell all his Heywood-Wakefield. Unfortunately this kind of beauty is not appreciated in small town Clarion County and he wasn't able to get rid of anything. So for years now in the back of my mind I've been mulling over the idea of maybe using when I finally have a dining room one day. The style is definitely different than my norm, but there's just something about sitting around a memory filled table in the years to come that I can't seem to get over (even though it was the grown-up table and I preferred the kid's table!). My mom mentioned my idea to Pa one day and ever since the dining room furniture has been promised to me! Yipee!

Please excuse the piles!
Pa is a collector.



Now comes the task of figuring out how I'm going to work this mid-century modern style into my classic american bungalow home.....hmmmm. I've already got my wheels turning & it starts with reupholstery!

Thanks Pa! I love you!


1 comment:

gramv said...

Krista, I'm so glad you have Uncle Gene's Haywood Wakefield dining room! I always think of Mennie and Gene when I see that kind of furniture and know you will do something dramatic and beautiful with it. I also enjoyed your house tour. Bless your heart; you have a lot of boxes to unpack; can't wait to see the progress in a month or two! Ann