Thursday, July 7, 2011

Call me crazy....

You know those people that love their dogs so much it makes them kind of crazy, like coo-coo Leona Helmsley?

{via}

Well, I think I'm pretty sure I'm one of them.

I may not have 12 million dollars to leave my Goldie girl when I die, but I do plan to love her like crazy while I'm alive.
So you can call me crazy, you can call me whatever you want, but remember this is my blog (and my life) and I'll do/say/write whatever I want. I prefer to think of it as being a good dog mom. After all, she is our 1st baby. So she may be a little bit furry and have 4 legs instead of 2, but we love her just as much as..... (get ready for it).....you love your kids. She's the first thing I think of in the morning when I get up.....she likes to get her belly rubbed to her and I may or may not sing her cute songs while doing so. She's the entertainment in our home at night. She's the star of all our vacation photos and she gets spoiled with uber healthy dog food and delicious doggie snacks on a daily basis.

Last weekend we took a trip to the beach. There may not be a ton that we love about living in Charlotte, but it's somewhat close proximity to the beach is top of the list (and by somewhat close I mean in comparison to Denver). Ben was working in the South Carolina/Georgia area, so Miss Mia and I drove down to Charleston to meet up with him for a weekend away. It was very last minute, so finding a place to stay with a dog during the height of vacation season was a bit of a challenge, but we made out ok (not great - just ok). It didn't really matter anyway where we stayed because we were only there to sleep. The rest of the time was spent frolicking on the beach with our water-loving beach baby. It had been nearly 1 whole year since she had ridden the waves and rolled in the white sand on the Mexican beaches, but she sure didn't lose her love for all things beach during her time away. Unfortunately the rules at American beaches for dogs are much stricter and they generally can't even be on the beach during the day at most places, but we made it work and then lucked out finding 2 great beaches in the area that allowed her the freedom she was desperately needing.

a little roll in the sand always feels good!

Fast forward to this week when I did something else a little crazy. I bought a couple of these.

{via}

Most popularly known to work in conjunction with the Beaba Babycook Baby Food Maker, these silicon freezer trays are used for storing home prepared baby food for future use. Now don't jump to any conclusions. I'm not expecting - not yet. But I do have an immediate plan for these things. I'm using to store my homemade doggie ice cream treats! Since I do have an awesome discount at William Sonoma and one day plan to have a baby and probably make my own baby food, why not take advantage now? You see I'm tired of spending $5 for 4 measly Frosty Paw treats just so that my girl can enjoy a snack on a hot summer day.

{via}

Our sweet little dog is an ice cream monster. It's our fault. We created the monster, but we can't really blame her. We both love ice cream too much too. It all started somewhere in the middle of Mexico with a frosty from Wendys and now we only so much have to open the freezer door and she comes a running! I've been known to make her baked dog treats in the past, so her own ice cream isn't that much of a stretch. And it makes me feel good knowing that (1) we're not getting ripped off and (2) it's much healthier for her. And it makes her so happy! Does this still sound like crazy to you?

If you're a little crazy too, try this recipe for easy doggie ice cream. And here's
a link for some other good sounding dog recipes too.

Mia's Ice Cream Minis

32 oz. plain yogurt (I actually only used half)

1 mashed banana

2 T peanut butter

3 T honey


Mix all the ingredients together, portion and freeze.

If you aren't wild about buying the Beaba silicon freezer tray, just use ice cube trays or old yogurt containers for a bigger snack. *I've also tried churning the mixture it in our electric ice cream maker before freezing it. It does tend to freeze a bit quicker, but other than that it doesn't appear to make much of a difference to the end result.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I like those trays.  I always find out about the most interesting things from you/your blog.  Might just have to buy some of those for the 2nd go-round.  Also, there is nothing wrong with loving your dog like a baby.  I have one of each and somedays I prefer the dog.