Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Joyful Find

While we were at the lake with our dear friends, we did quite a bit of browsing the handicrafts- surprised to hear it? Ha! Really if you are coming to Guatemala and need the help of an expert shopper/bargainer, CALL ME.

I'm sure it's not news to those of you who know me, but I love unique finds, funky antiques, different color combinations, fixer-upper projects, textiles & great deals! This trip did not disappoint. After some time here in Central America, I've gotten a bit choosey about my purchases. Maybe it's because I've grown tired of seeing the same mass produced stuff over and over, or maybe it's more that I'm now carefully calculating every square inch of space in our car. Either way, on the streets of Panajachel I came across a piece that fit all my requirements for purchasing: a textile with unique colors that was second hand, needs a little TLC, all for a great price (only Q100!). How could I say no?


After I trim some threads and frame it out, it's going to work perfectly with another textile that I'm awaiting the arrival of. Of course neither is for use now, but I've got big future plans for them. You'll just have to wait and see.


And while we're on the subject of handicrafts, I recently came across a really interesting looking book that I would love to own.

I don't know about you, but the concept of how women in developing countries around the world have used their indigenous artforms to help improve the lives of their families is so intriguing to me. Weaving? Um, you had me at hello! Too bad I don't know how to make a career out of my love for handicrafts!

It's on my Amazon wish list because there's not much sense in me purchasing it now and then carting through Mexico on our drive home, but I can't wait to learn more. If you know anything about it (or want to help me start my own business), I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: