Friday, October 21, 2011

Mmmmmm!

I go through phases of feeling domestic. This week was one of them. After a visit to our local farmer's market I got an itch to make apple butter. Since Ben was off on a fishing adventure with his dad, I turned our kitchen into my lab.

A couple of years ago while in Guatemala, I developed a serious craving for apple butter. Sadly, it could not be found anywhere. After a bit of research,
I set out to make my own. So this time of course I turned back to Darby's amazingly easy crockpot recipe. Once again, it did the job!


half bushel of mixed apples


add spicy goodness


mix thoroughly


slow cook for 8 hours





And since was feeling especially domestic, I decided to try my hand at canning. After a quick run to Walmart I returned home with this.


I had initially set out to find a larger canning pot & metal rack, but since I don't think I'll be canning all that much, I decided on a less costly option. It actually works great & stores away easily.



The only sad part is that after all that slow cooking, the recipe only yields 4 pints!



So I repeated the whole process again! No big deal.


There was one small catastrophe.



Apparently it's not a good idea to sit your crockpot on top of the seam where your laminate countertops connect. Oops.


And as if 8 pints of apple butter wasn't enough. I also whipped up some pumpkin butter.



Watch out Martha!

No comments: